Looking around your home, you may wonder what you can get rid of to free up space. The answer may not be obvious if you are used to keeping a tidy, organized space. However, there are likely items lurking in cabinets and drawers that don’t need to be taking up space in your home.
Tips to Purging Items From Your Home
- Declutter one room at a time. Walking from room to room with a garbage bag isn’t the most effective way to purge your home of things you don’t need. Instead, work through one room before moving to the next. This allows you to see progress and keeps your motivation to continue high.
- Toss it if you don’t need it. Just because it has a home doesn’t mean you should keep it. If it’s something you haven’t used in years and you don’t have any immediate plans to incorporate it into your life, get rid of it!
- Make separate piles for the purged items. You don’t need to trash everything you are getting rid of. If possible, hold a yard sale to recoup some of the money you spent on items you don’t need. Alternatively, donate clothing and housewares to a community shelter or other place that helps other people.
Now that you know how to purge effectively, lets take a look at the different areas of the home you’ll want to declutter and organize!
50+ Things to Purge from your Home Today
In the bathroom you will want to check dates on everything. Go through your drawers, closets and shelves, tossing anything that’s out of date or that you haven’t used in months – or even years!
- Expired Makeup
- Unused Perfumes
- Expired Medication
- Almost Empty Lotions
- Spare Buttons
- Damaged Towels (Holes/Stains)
- Dried Nail Polish
- Excess Travel Toiletries
- Scattered Bobby Pins
- Ponytail Holders
One of the best places to purge lots of items from your home! From unopened cookbooks to fancy kitchen gadgets that seemed like a good idea at one time, you shouldn’t have trouble unloaded a bag or two of kitchen items.
- Unused Appliances and Utensils
- Old Cookbooks
- Expired Condiments
- Dented/Expired Canned Goods
- Plastic Containers Missing a Lid
- Take Out Menus
- Rarely-Used Dishes
- Dull Knives
- The Junk Drawer!
So many fabrics and garments to purge here! Start with the closet, check under the bed, and sort through the wardrobe and dresser.
- Old Blankets and Sheets
- Stocking/Pantyhose with Runs
- Department Store Bags
- Extra Travel Bags/Duffle Bags
- Outgrown Clothing and Shoes
- Broken Hangers
- Ratty T-Shirts
- Socks with No Matches
- Broken Jewelry
- Extra Belts, Scarves, and Other Accessories
These areas of the home vary depending on your family’s interests, but make sure you go through and take a look at things that haven’t been used in quite some time.
- Extra Event Invitations
- Additional Cords and Wires
- Scratched CDs or DVDs
- Expired Coupons
- Puzzles or Games Missing Pieces
- Gift Cards with No Balance
- Pens Out of Ink
- Paper Receipts
- Empty Boxes
- Craft Scraps and Unused Supplies
Purging your home doesn’t need to be a dauntless process. Take a look at the list above and use it as a starting point when deciding what unnecessary things you can part with.