Spoil yourself by indulging in this rich, luxurious dark chocolate mousse recipe. Perfect for enjoying by yourself as a single serving or served in petit pastries as a decadent party dessert, this quick and easy recipe will quickly become your favorite recipe. Best of all, it pairs nicely with a big glass of red wine.
Dark Chocolate Mousse Recipe
This rich and creamy dark chocolate mousse recipe is a favorite in our house. You can enjoy it plain, or top with your favorite toppings like fresh whipped cream, chocolate shavings, or fresh fruit.
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
Optional: Whipped Cream (see recipe below), chocolate shavings, or fresh fruit to top.
- Finely chop chocolate, set aside.
- In a double boiler, whisk egg yolks, sugar, and salt until sugar has dissolved and the mixture is warm to the touch, 2 to 3 minutes. Be careful not to cook the yolks.
- Remove from heat and quickly whisk in chopped chocolate until melted and cocoa until smooth (mixture will be thick). Set aside and let cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, whip heavy cream until soft peaks form. Whisk half of the whipped cream into the room-temperature chocolate mixture. Gently fold in remaining whipped cream with a rubber spatula.
- Chill at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.
- Remove mousse from refrigerator 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with whipped cream and shaved chocolate.
Whipped Cream Recipe
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Place a metal mixing bowl and metal whisk into the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place the sugar into the mixing bowl and add the whipping cream. Whisk just until the cream reaches stiff peaks. Serve immediately.
Check out more decadent dark chocolate recipes including our Dark Chocolate Cranberry Bark Recipe, Salted Dark Chocolate Popcorn Recipe, Dark Chocolate Fudge Brownie Recipe, and Dark Chocolate Toasted Marshmallow S'more Ice Cream Recipe.