This is a sponsored post on behalf of CosmetiCare.
When I decided to go forward with lipoabdominoplasty to repair my diastasis recti and c-section shelf, I booked a tummy tuck consultation with Dr. Reagan at CosmetiCare to learn about risks, complications, and success stories for this type of surgery. Is this the best surgery for me and my situation? What would I need to do to prepare my body for surgery? And of course, what results can I expect 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, and even 1 year down the road?
But most importantly, I wanted to know how safe this surgery was and what risks were involved. As it happens, I have a right bundle branch block, a heart block in the right bundle branch of the electrical conduction system. This is a condition I've had for years, and I have even had surgery with, but, since this procedure would be more than twice as long as my last surgical procedure, I wanted to be sure that this surgery was not going to put me at an unnecessary risk for complications.
Questions to ask at your tummy tuck consultation.
When you book your tummy tuck consultation, keep in mind the appointment can take an hour or more. It will begin with paperwork, a great deal of paperwork covering everything from previous health records, pre-op and post-op instructions, consent for blood tests, risks and complication advisories, and more. Even though it's a lot of paperwork, be sure to take your time and answer everything thoroughly because it's all done in an effort to keep you safe, and make your recovery as easy as possible.
If you're like me and have a pre-existing condition that requires an additional medical clearance, you'll want to be sure to ask about the timeline to obtain that clearance. Depending on the type of clearance you need, you may need to complete it two weeks prior to surgery, while less urgent clearances can be obtained 60 days before surgery. Just remember it is your responsibility to ensure that your medical clearance items are provided to the surgical office prior to the pre-op appointment. Failure to do so may postpone or cancel your surgery, and nobody wants that, especially you.
Once you and the surgeon have gone over all the questions from the paperwork, the remaining time at your consultation is open for you to ask the surgeon any and every question you have about the surgery and recovery. Here are just a few of the question you should ask at a tummy tuck consultation.
- Are you certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? This is one of the first and most important questions to ask.
- Where will the surgery be performed? Some offices have their own surgery center, while others may use a local hospital.
- Is the office-based surgical facility accredited by an accrediting agency? If not, you may be able to choose a different facility to have your surgery at.
- Are there other treatments I would be a better candidate for? Liposuction and non-surgical treatments like Coolsculpting and truSculpting may be a better option for you.
- What will be expected of me to get the best, long-term results? Aging, sun exposure, weight loss, weight gain, pregnancy, menopause or other circumstances may alter the appearance of your body after surgery.
- How long of a recovery period can I expect? What can I do to make recovery easier?
- What help will I need after surgery? You must have an adult be available to pick you up after surgery and stay with you for the first 48 hours.
- What are the risks and complications associated with my procedure? What can I do to lower the risks of complications before and after surgery?
- How are complications during surgery handled? If it's an outpatient surgery center, where is the nearest hospital?
- Do you have before-and-after photos I can look at for this procedure? What results are reasonable for me?
While cosmetic surgery is an exciting journey to embark on, being prepared and organized is essential in a successful surgery and recovery. Don't be afraid to take a pen and notepad to your tummy tuck consultation, or if you don't have one simply ask to borrow one while at the appointment.
In the next few weeks, I'll be sharing the results of my cosmetic surgery journey with you and I'm happy to answer any questions you have. Join me on this journey and learn if cosmetic surgery is the right solution for you.
Are you interested in lipoabdominalplasty (tummy tuck)? Use my exclusive code STACY100 to receive 10% off a tummy tuck procedure at CosmetiCare.