Take friendship bracelets to the next level with a new contemporary design using a t-shirt and tie dye. Make a fun fashion statement with this easy DIY t-shirt project, tie-dye friendship bracelet!
DIY T-Shirt Projects: Tie-Dye Friendship Bracelet
You can create this simple tie-dye friendship bracelet project as a monochromatic bracelet or bright multi-color as we did. Most importantly, have fun with it! This is a great project for kids and adults alike!
Don't forget to use an adult large shirt (or two, or three) to get the most out of your tie-dye, and have endless t-shirt cords to create tie-dye friendship bracelet, necklaces, macrame projects and more!
- Tulip® One-Step Tie-Dye Kit
- Adult Large 100% Cotton White T-shirt
- Spray Bottle
- Plastic Cover
- Cord End
- Jump Ring
- Fabric Scissors
- Prewash fabric without fabric softener. Do not dry.
- Cover work surface with plastic table cover. Lay damp fabric on prepared surface.
- Prepare Tie Dye following package instructions. (Don't forget your gloves!)
- Pour dye from dye bottle to individual spray bottle. Add water to fill the bottle. Shake well.
- Spray a 1-2″ width row (or larger if you get carried away with me) from the base of the shirt, with full-strength tie dye.
- Fill bottle with more water. Shake well. Spray a few sprays to clean dark color out of the nozzle.
- Spray next to darker color and up of first dye application.
- Continue process adding water to bottle as you proceed to apply dye to the shirt until desire ombre effect is achieved.
- Rinse spray bottle, and repeat steps 3-8 with additional colors if desired.
- Cover fabric with plastic table cover. Let set 6-8 hours.
- Rinse fabric in warm water until water runs clear.
- Fill washer to large load setting with hottest water suitable for fabric and a small amount of non-bleach laundry detergent. Dry as directed.
- Cut t-shirt into 1/4″-1/2″ strips. You should end up with a beautiful cascade of ombre rainbow strips like below.
- Pull each strip individually to stretch. When you let go, your t-shirt material should curl into a cord-like shape.
- Use cord end to secure one end of the fabric.
- Layer and braid t-shirt cords as desired. Trim cords to length desired. You can create a tie-dye friendship bracelet that wraps once or multiple times like ours.
- Use a cord end to secure the other end of the fabric, then attach a jump ring and keychain as a clasp.
Your tie-dye friendship bracelet is complete and makes the perfect accent piece for fun in the sun, summer outfits.
Thank you to ILTC and Blueprint Social for helping us Tie Dye Our Summer!