We all know getting the kids to help around the house can be challenging, but with a successful simple chore and reward system that works getting children to help contribute to household duties can be easy. We created our chore and reward system using inspiration from our children's 2nd-grade class which uses a marble reward system, and thanks to my Silhouette CAMEO® and the Print & Cut Feature personalizing our reward system to fit our family's need couldn't have been easier.
Update: This is seriously the best chore & reward system ever! Our boys have been contributing to the family duties without being asked and are so eager to earn their first reward. What is that reward you ask? They have asked for lunch and dessert at Red Robin. 🙂 Yes children, you have more than earned it!
Simple Chore and Reward System That Works with Silhouette Print & Cut
Creating your own personalized labels for your simple chore and reward system is easy with Silhouette's Print & Cut Feature. Simply create your design, print your job on your home printer, with a cutting mat feed the printed material in your Silhouette electronic cutter and cut. Yes, it really is that easy! Apply your new personalized labels to your favorite jar and your project is complete.
- Silhouette CAMEO® or Silhouette Portrait™
- Silhouette Studio® or Silhouette Studio® Designer Edition
- Vintage Label Set Print & Cut by Sophie Gallo (Optional, or design your own)
- Silhouette Printable White Sticker Paper
- Silhouette Cameo Cutting Mat or Silhouette Portrait Mat
- Mason Jars
- Jumbo Craft Sticks
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Cotton Balls
- Creating your design in Silhouette Studio® or Silhouette Studio® Designer Edition. Check the ‘show registration marks' in the registration marks options panel.
- Adjust your cut setting on the text to ‘no cut'. Group each label with its corresponding text.
- Print your design on your home printer. Be sure to feed the Silhouette Printable White Sticker Paper so it will print on the correct side.
- Place your printed sticker paper on the cutting mat and feed it into your Silhouette electronic cutting tool. Click cut and the Silhouette optic scanner will read the registration marks and start cutting.
- Using a cotton ball, wipe jars with rubbing alcohol to remove any residue. Let dry.
- Carefully peel out the shape and apply the print & cut stickers to your jars as desired.
- Write individual chores and family duties on jumbo craft sticks and place them in the ‘To Do' jar.
As children complete chores, they move the chore stick to the ‘done' jar and place a marble from the ‘Good Deeds Marble' jar into the ‘Rewards' jar. Once the ‘Rewards' jar is full, celebrate your children's good deeds with a new toy, a special meal, day trip to a favorite spot, or any other favorite activity.
Marbles don't just have to be added for completing chores and family duties either. Additional marbles can be added for good behavior, good deeds, on anytime children, make a special effort to be helpful or well-behaved.